Qualifying counties eligible for participation through GNWKCF include: Cheyenne, Decatur, Ellsworth, Gove, Graham, Logan, Norton, Phillips, Osborne, Rawlins, Russell, Sheridan, Sherman, Thomas and Wallace.
Annually, funding is made available for each of these county-wide funds as “pass-through” grants: $25,000 being made available in April, and an additional $25,000 in September. This grant program will sunset at the end of 2025.
County-wide participation in a Strategic Doing initiative supported by the Hansen Foundation is required. Individual Community Foundations may opt to participate in the Ripple Effects Mapping process sponsored by the Hansen Foundation as well.
Grant applications are accepted online, and available to all counties listed above. The Dane G. Hansen Foundation serves a 26-county area in Northwest Kansas; the other eligible counties not listed can apply through the Greater Salina Community Foundation.
Grants are made to nonprofit organizations exempt from federal taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; and Educational, Governmental, and Religious Institutions. Grants are not made to individuals or businesses.
Please note – there are many nonprofit organizations that fall under a different IRS tax code that are not eligible. Please look into this prior to filling out your application.
Grants can address:
- Education: Enhances the learning environment and expands opportunities for students. Provides increased self-reliance on personal life skills and the creation of a capable workforce.
- Health Care: Enhance access to quality health care services and promotes healthy life practices.
- Community Social Services & Security: Enhance access to social services needed for individuals with special needs or support systems to provide community disaster relief and general community emergencies.
- Conservation & Environment: Support efforts to improve and maintain high air and water quality, appreciation for our natural environment or enhances economic and social benefits of outdoor resources.
- Arts & Culture: Provide cultural and artistic opportunities to enhance the quality of life for local residents and/or to encourage tourism and the exchange of ideas.
- Community Beautification: Support efforts to improve and maintain public spaces to enhance community pride and encourage socialization among residents.
- Preference will be given to applications that utilize the Strategic Doing process and address county and/or community goals created through citizen asset mapping and visioning. Consideration should also be given to applications that include community involvement and volunteerism.
- Grants shall not be used to reduce or replace regular budgetary needs for programs or projects that are tax-supported.
- Grants are not awarded for endowment or general operating expenses.
- Grants are not to be used for “Match Day” programs.
Applications must be received, complete with all items, through the online grant application link no later than the day of the deadline. The deadline is the LAST day of each month**, in order to be reviewed the following month. **Note: Graham, Ellsworth, Osborne, and Russell Counties accept grants twice a year, not monthly. See their fund information for specific deadlines.
Generally, there is no maximum or minimum on grant requests. Some community foundations have established a maximum request and should be noted on the grant description when you apply for the application online. It is the intent of the Hansen Foundation that the Grant Funds be used to award multiple grants in each county. Each county foundation, at its discretion may choose to establish maximum or minimum limitations for the respective county.
If the request is for significant dollars (more than $10,000), covers multiple counties within the service area, is a multi-year request, or for a project that was previously funded directly by the Hansen Foundation, it is suggested the applicant apply directly to the Dane G. Hansen Foundation.
Required documents to be uploaded
- List of organization’s board members and their board positions
- Recent financial statement (i.e. – income statement, balance sheet, annual spending budget) – not a full audit report
- Budget sheet for project breakdown – download and complete: GNWKCF-Hansen-Budget-Sheet (EXCEL or fillable PDF)
- Organization’s IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter (exception – Governmental, Educational or Religious Entities)
- Letters of support are generally not required but HIGHLY encouraged. Up to three letters may be added. It is at the discretion of each community foundations as to whether or not they require letters of support.
Also, please ONLY attach PC compatible files in Adobe PDF, Excel (xls or xlsx), Word (doc or docx) or PowerPoint (ppt or pptx). MacIntosh /Apple file formats are not accepted.
Requests for grants will be made to the Greater Northwest Kansas Community Foundation online and will be reviewed by local Community Foundation staff and / or advisory committees established within each county.
Applicants are notified by e-mail of an award or decline, normally within thirty days, with some exceptions taking up to sixty days from the application deadline. Applicants will be notified by e-mail if the committee chooses to table the application until the following month, which is usually due to the committee wanting additional information.
Final project report
A final project report will be required from all grant recipients. In addition to answering questions on the project and how the funding was used, you will be required to provide the following:
- Receipts / Financial accounting of how the funds were used, and
- At least one photograph (up to three allowed) of the final project. Please note that we enjoy photos with PEOPLE in them rather than just equipment. When you upload a picture with people in it, you are consenting to allow us to use the photo in marketing materials and/or social media. Do not upload pictures of individuals without consent.
The due date for your final report is set 30 days after your project is complete based on your estimated timeline as noted within your application. A request for extension may be allowed with sufficient reasoning.
Unused grant funds
Unused grant funds for the stated project must be paid back to the Greater Northwest Kansas Community Foundation, PO Box 593, Bird City, KS 67731 and will be credited back to that county’s grantmaking Fund.