Greater Northwest Kansas Community Foundation
*Hansen Community Grant Fund Application*
Grants are made to nonprofit organizations exempt from federal taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code; and Educational, Governmental, and Religious Institutions. Grants are not made to individuals or businesses.
Please note – there are many nonprofit organizations that fall under a different IRS tax code that are not eligible. Please look into this prior to filling out your application.
- Grants can address:
- Education: Enhances the learning environment and expands opportunities for students. Provides increased self-reliance on personal life skills and workforce capability.
- Health Care: Ensures access to quality health care services and promotes healthy life practices.
- Community Social Services & Security: Enhance access to social services needed for individuals of special needs and supports systems to provide community disaster relief and general community emergencies.
- Conservation & Environment: Support efforts to improve and maintain high air and water quality, appreciation for our natural environment and enhances economic and social benefits of outdoor resources.
- Arts & Culture: Provide cultural and artistic opportunities to enhance the quality of life for local residents and to encourage tourism and the exchange of ideas.
- Community Beautification: Support efforts to improve and maintain public spaces to enhance community pride and encourage socialization among residents
- Preference will be given to applications that include community involvement and volunteerism.
- Grants shall not be used to reduce or replace regular budgetary needs for programs or projects that are tax-supported.
- Grants are not awarded for endowment or general operating expenses.
- There is no maximum on grant requests, however, if the request is for significant dollars (more than $10,000), covers multiple counties within the service area, is a multi-year request, or for a project that was previously funded directly by the Hansen Foundation, it is suggested the applicant apply directly to the Dane G. Hansen Foundation.
Applications must be received, complete with all items, through the online grant application link no later than the day of the deadline. The deadline is the first day of each month, in order to be reviewed that month.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS TO BE UPLOADED
- List of organization’s board members and their board positions
- Recent financial statement (i.e. – income statement, balance sheet, annual spending budget) – not a full audit report
- Budget sheet for project breakdown – download and complete: GNWKCF-Hansen-Budget-Sheet
- Organization’s IRS 501(c)(3) determination letter (exception – Governmental, Educational or Religious Entities)
- Letters of support, not required (maximum of 3)
Requests for grants will be made to the Greater Northwest Kansas Community Foundation online and will be reviewed by Community Foundation staff and the local Advisory Committee established within your county.
Applicants are notified by e-mail of an award or decline, normally within thirty days, with some exceptions taking up to sixty days from the application deadline. Applicants will be notified by e-mail if the committee chooses to table the application until the following month, which is usually due to the committee wanting additional information.
FINAL PROJECT REPORT
A final project report will be required from all grant recipients. In addition to answering questions on the project and how the funding was used, you will be required to provide the following:
- Receipts / Financial accounting of how the funds were used, and
- At least one photograph (up to three allowed) of the final project. Please note that we enjoy photos with PEOPLE in them rather than just equipment. When you upload a picture with people in it, you are consenting to allow us to use the photo in marketing materials and/or social media. Do not upload pictures of individuals without consent.
The due date for your final report is set 30 days after your project is complete based on your estimated timeline as noted within your application. A request for extension may be allowed with sufficient reasoning.
UNUSED GRANT FUNDS
Unused grant funds for the stated project must be paid back to the Greater Northwest Kansas Community Foundation, which will then be credited back to that county’s grantmaking Fund.